A 6.3-magnitude “explosion” has-been detected in North Korea, the United States Geological Survey formally announced Sunday.
The seismic activity took place at 12:29 p.m. local time, just hours after North Korea claimed in that leader Kim Jong Un had inspected the loading of a hydrogen bomb in to a new intercontinental ballistic missile.
According to the USGS, the seismic activity — which the scientific agency has not identified as an earthquake per se — took place 24 kilometers east northeast of Sungjibaegam, North Korea.
“Possible explosion, located near the site where North Korea has detonated nuclear explosions in the past,” read a acknowledgment on the USGS website. “If this event was an explosion, the USGS National Earthquake Information Center cannot determine its type, whether nuclear or any other possible type.”
Japan confirmed in that North Korea conducted a nuclear test, Foreign Minister Taro Kano said, reportedly The- Associated Press. “It is without question unacceptable if North Korea did force another nuclear test, and we must protest strongly,” Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said.
And reportedly South Korea’s Yonhap news agency, the country’s Joint Chiefs of Staff say North Korea is “presumed” to have conducted a sixth nuclear test. When news 1st broke of the seismic activity, the Joint Chiefs of Staff asserted the seismic activity was artificial.
The USGS told ABC News Radio they it detected a 2nd event about eight minutes after the 6.3-magnitude “explosion,” yet it was too little to confined down a location and magnitude.
South Korea’s presidential office asserted it will hold a National Security Council meeting chaired by President Moon Jae-in.
The North Korean government let go photos earlier Sunday of Kim Jong Un talking with his lieutenants as he seen a silver, peanut-shaped device in that was apparently the purported thermonuclear weapon destined for an ICBM. What appeared to be the nose cone of a missile could moreover be seen near the alleged bomb in one picture. The- photo could not be independently verified. Another photo showed a diagram on the wall of a bomb mounted inside a cone.
North Korea conducted its fifth test in September 2016. That test was one of two tests conducted last year.
ABC News’ Michael O’Keefe contributed to this report.
This tale is breaking. Please check back for updates.