SHY Martin is one of the singer-songwriter acts we’re really excited about at Just Jared, and we want our readers to know her even better!
The rising Swedish star has already cemented herself in the industry as a co-writer and vocalist on major tracks like Mike Perry‘s “The Ocean,” Kygo and Ellie Goulding‘s “First Time,” Bebe Rexha‘s “(Not The One),” The Chainsmokers‘ “All We Know,” among many others.
Today (August 7), she releases her own Sad Songs EP, a collection of songs that she felt were more “stripped down and personal.”
“I wanted to go back to that same feeling of when I first started writing songs on my guitar. All of these songs were written in different combinations of people I love working with in Sweden,” she explains.
“The title of the EP ‘Sad Songs’ actually came from the working title of ‘Lose You Too’ and stuck with me for some reason. At first it was only a joke since I always end up writing sad songs. But after living with it for some time, it felt like the perfect name of this EP since it only has sad songs on it. I was supposed to do a lot of touring this year but had to postpone all of the shows because of COVID-19. It’s sad in a way but I’ve honestly really enjoyed this time being in Sweden. It’s given me the opportunity to spend more time in the studio working on upcoming songs and writing for other artists which has been super fun. I’ve also had more time with my friends here in Stockholm and some time to rest. Until I’m able to travel again I’m gonna spend as much time as I can in the studio writing and recording, which is also where I feel most comfortable.”
The EP also includes her new single “Are you happy?” – and you can check out the accompanying music video inside.
Get to know SHY Martin better with these 10 Fun Facts…
- 1. The last three months, I’ve been playing Yahtzee at least once a day. I randomly found the game at an AirBNB a few months back when me and some friends went to the countryside to shoot a music video. Since then I’ve been obsessed ha! It’s just such a nice way to start the day with some coffee and Yahtzee.
- 2. I always end up watching videos of baby animals on YouTube before I go to sleep. It makes me calm and happy.
- 3. I have a twin brother called Martin. He was very shy as a kid and I was the opposite, always singing and making noise. So the name ‘Shy Martin’ actually comes from that.
- 4. I grew up in a small village in southern Sweden with only 500 residents. It’s a super beautiful place with a lot of nature. When I was a kid I spent a lot of time in the forest and sometimes I had to ski to visit my friends!
- 5. I had a tonsil operation back in 2015. It was right before me and my boyfriend wrote “The Ocean” with Mike Perry on my couch. I actually recorded the vocals in my tiny walk-in closet right after the operation. So the vocals you hear on the song is actually a one-take done from the closet, as I wasn’t supposed to be singing at the time.
- 6. My photographer and videographer is actually my big brother Hampus! He makes all of my visuals, including my cover art. We’ve been working together since 2017.
- 7. Me and my boyfriend wrote “All We Know” [The Chainsmokers] on my parents’ couch two hours before taking the train back to Stockholm after spending the weekend at my family’s house. This was a week after we wrote “The Ocean” and these two songs started our careers as songwriters.
- 8. I’m obsessed with writing lists. I think I got it from my mum. She’s always written to-do lists and all sorts of other lists. I’m very easily distracted and end up multitasking a lot, so writing lists helps me clear my mind and make sure I do stuff. I’ve probably written thousands of lists in my life.
- 9. I’m also a songwriter, so I actually spend the majority of my time in the studio writing songs for other artists.
- 10. I hate talking on the phone. I’ve always found it easier to get my thoughts down in text. Which is also the reason why I started writing songs.
Click inside to read the rest of the 10 Fun Facts…