Josie Man is one of the newest rising acts on the music scene, and we want Just Jared readers to know her even better.
Born of both Hong Kong and Orpington descent, the fusion of cultures in her upbringing informed her own view on life from an early age.
“When I was little and surrounded by both my Cantonese-speaking and South East London family, I invented my own language and my own universe of colours and symbols. I learnt that there is more than one way to be. Rules of being can be blurred,” she explains.
Josie kicked off her music career with debut single “Colours” at the end of 2019, followed by “Baby Pink & Blue” and her debut EP, aLOVINGboothang in February. After being named BBC Introducing’s “Track of the Week” with her song “Just Me” as well as supporting Beabadoobee earlier in the year, her follow-up is an introspective anthem, called “Grow” – and that’s exactly what she’s done with her own steadily growing artistic career.
“I’ve been hurt, lessons learnt but nothing ever grows without it,” she declares.
“Free fall. Let the music do it all. We don’t even have to talk. Let the tears fall on the floor.”
Watch the music video for “Grow” and check out Josie Man‘s 10 Fun Facts…
- 1. I used to be a gymnast but injured myself 4 times so had to quit. I had a big cast on my leg and now my knee makes a funny noise when I straighten it.
- 2. I am hyper mobile so I’m really bendy and can do the splits.
- 3. I’ve been vegan for 4 years and 9 months. I absolutely love potatoes and chickpeas with vegetable stock as a meal.
- 4. I used to go home for lunch in college because I got really homesick at school and still get homesick.
- 5. I don’t drink alcohol and when I used to, I used to cry A LOT.
Read the rest of the facts…
- 6. I worry if I don’t hear from my family for more than 3 hours and I can’t sleep without saying “Goodnight, Love you.”
- 7. My favourite drink is cranberry and echinacea tea with vitamin c powder.
- 8. I really don’t like anything pickled, anything pickled makes me gag.
- 9. I’m really into crystals and believe in the healing power of them. My favourite is Rose Quartz and I like to hold it in my left hand.
- 10. I have 20 tattoos. I love them all but think my favourite is probably the tiger on my leg.
- *BONUS* 11. I get my love and inspiration for fashion from Bratz dolls. I used to be obsessed with them when I was younger, I loved how you could dress them up and switch outfits between them.