Donald Trump‘s campaign announced on Wednesday (November 4) that they filed a lawsuit in Michigan to pause the counting of votes amid the 2020 presidential election.
The campaign is suing to demand that their campaign’s election observers can be granted access to the counting process.
Opponent Joe Biden is currently leading in the state by about 0.7%, or about 37,000 votes. He also leads with about a 20,000 count projected victory in neighboring Wisconsin, where the Trump campaign is seeking a recount.
“President Trump’s campaign has not been provided with meaningful access to numerous counting locations to observe the opening of ballots and the counting process, as guaranteed by Michigan law. We have filed suit today in the Michigan Court of Claims to halt counting until meaningful access has been granted. We also demand to review those ballots which were opened and counted while we did not have meaningful access. President Trump is committed to ensuring that all legal votes are counted in Michigan and everywhere else,” said Bill Stepien, Trump’s campaign manager.
Michigan’s secretary of state, Jocelyn Benson, previously said tens of thousands of votes remain to be counted in the state, and that the majority of them would be counted by the end of the day.
“They are finding Biden votes all over the place — in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan. So bad for our Country!” Trump tweeted.
At the same time, Biden is making history with his vote count.